Thursday 6 November 2014

Trailer Trashing: CHAPPIE

Neill Blomkamp, the man behind District 9 and Elysium has a new flick coming, it's called Chappie and they've released the first trailer.


First thing I noticed: IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE EVERY OTHER NEILL BLOMKAMP MOVIE.

I suspect that if you gave Neill Blomkamp unlimited resources and historical research to make a film about the Emperors of Ancient Rome the Imperial Palace of the Eternal City would look like a slum in Johannesburg.

I understand that auteurs have a certain aesthetic sensibility. However, with Blomkamp it looks like visually he's either in a rut, or has a one track mind.

Second thing I noticed was that I noticed it all before.

The trailer doesn't make the film look like an entertaining and unique work but a mishmash of  Short Circuit, Short Circuit 2Edward Scissorhands, Wall-E, and all points in between. It's practically a remake.

They even have Hugh Jackman playing the stereotypical vaguely kinda military looking guy who has to destroy the poor innocent robot because that's his job. 

Why should I pay money to see this movie since it looks like I've already seen it a dozen times before already?

No comments:

Post a Comment