Sunday 29 May 2011

Hollywood Babble On & On #733: Gloating, Gloating, Gloating

Just a quick note in which I gloat about being proved right, yet again.

Almost a year ago it was announced that AJ Cook and Paget Brewster were being shit-canned, more or less, from the TV show
Criminal Minds. At the time I wrote a piece where I included the decision as one of Three Really Bad Ideas Hollywood had made that week.

If you're too lazy to click the link I'll do a quick summary of the three main points.

1. It made CBS look bad. They already treat
Criminal Minds like the network's red-headed stepchild, even though it's fairly solid in the ratings, so the cavalier attitude in which they treated the female cast members made them look like sexist assholes.

2. It bred resentment with the fans of the show who saw some of their favorites being jerked around by a bunch of network suits for no logical or rational reason. This resentment was then aimed, for good reason or not, upon...

3. The spin-off. You don't treat the cast members of a show getting a spin off that way unless there is some other agenda. Like trying to squeeze some extra money out of the show to pay for the spin-off. Now I don't know if this is true or not, and to be honest, it doesn't really matter. The fans of
Criminal Minds automatically resented the spin-off Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior, and stayed away from it in droves.

So how was I proven right?

Well, Paget Brewster and AJ Cook are coming back to Criminal Minds, and
Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior got a one way ticket to the TV bone-yard.

I was surprised by the rehiring though. Usually there's an unwritten rule against rehiring the recently fired, because it is seen as a sign of weakness by the people who did the firing. Of course the chuckle-head who came up with the idea of sinking the spin-off before it's even launched in the first place may now be gone for all I know.

Now I'm not the type to gloat, well, actually I am the type to gloat, so here I go...

You can't manage network television!

No comments:

Post a Comment