Wednesday 31 March 2010

Hollywood Babble On & On #481: Two News Bits

Welcome to the show folks...

HELL NEEDS SNOW-SHOVELS

Because it just froze over after hearing that I'm agreeing with the MPAA on an issue. Apparently the MPAA isn't too keen on Wall Street starting a futures market based on box-office returns, and I agree with them. I've already expressed why I don't care for the idea, so you can just click this link to read them in full but I'll summarize them for those too lazy to click.


1. It's not an investment, it's a bet. An investment is when someone puts their money into the production of a certain good or service, and succeed when that good or service succeeds.

2. You can succeed from the failure of others. Like any form of gambling people will try to cheat at it, especially when you can win by making a certain film lose. I can't name any specific forms of manipulation, but I'm sure those in the know are cooking up all kinds of scams for this market.

3. The tyranny of the analysts will go bug-shit. There is already too much manipulations, spin doctoring, and just plain tomfoolery with box office analysis that is already being given too much weight. It will get exponentially worse with Wall Street getting involved.

MGM GETS ANOTHER REPRIEVE

MGM gets another stay of execution as its lenders and creditors strive to figure out what to do in the face of a low-ball auction, and the underwhelming performance of the overpriced ($50 million) movie Hot Tub Time Machine.

I think the company needs to be completely rebuilt and restructured into something functional and money making, but maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment