Sunday 28 June 2009

A Reader Writes....

Okay, today I got this comment from a reader about my recent post about Michael Jackson:
Anonymous said...

Actually, the Times UK reports Jackson had recorded 100 unreleased songs that Sony will compile & release over the next 5 years. He's also #1 on the Itunes & Billboard charts which means he is earning more than the reported 20 million he generated per year prior to his death.

You (& Mr Burnaska) seem to know so much about Jackson, his delusions, etc.
Why didn't you know that?

D, w/ all due respect, you appear to have an interesting, generally insightful perspective on the workings of the entertainment biz. But occasionally you allow your lack of personal success in that realm & the hatred for those who have succeeded to cloud that insight.

You might want to work on that in order to remain credible.

You'll probably delete this post.

Gee thanks for the advice and the psychological analysis Anonymous, if that is your real name. You have completely convinced me that I was completely and totally wrong about everything.

Michael Jackson was the greatest musician who ever lived, whose songs never annoyed me by repetitiveness and overplaying, he never mutilated himself with plastic surgery, and he didn't share his bed with little boys, monkeys, and do other weird and creepy things.

But I have a few questions:

If Jackson was so sane, and so consistently successful, and earning $20 million a year, why are folks reporting that he left behind $400 million in debts? Couldn't he live on $20 million a year? I could.

Why did every deal involving Michael Jackson, from auctioning off his curios, to shopping at his local pharmacy end in lawsuits? He was making $20 million a year, he had 100 songs banked with his record company, why not pay his bills?

Sure, Michael Jackson is #1 in sales right now, but will that actually translate into continuing sales for this 100 song back catalog over the next 5 years, or is it just ghoulish memento hunting, like folks who dipped their handkerchiefs in the blood at the scene of John Dillinger's shooting?

And while the songs maybe selling, even in the millions, how much of that $400 million debt will it cover?

And one last question...

Anonymous, are you just an Anonymous Jackson fan, a co-delusional, trolling for anyone daring to bad-mouth your pop-idol, or are you a sock-puppet for the record company/concert promoter trying to tamp down criticism while your employers try to squeeze out something to cover the millions pissed away on Jackson's now aborted comeback, in other words, a profiteer?

And by the way, I won't delete the post. I stand by my opinions, and won't let anyone who doesn't even have the balls to even make up a phony name, tell me otherwise. Also I probably should remind you of something: I'm talking about Hollywood, I still have, and always will have, more credibility as an obnoxious cranky blogger than 99.9% of Hollywood's media machine.

Thanks for commenting, I haven't had some troll in a while.

UPDATE: My critic speaks again-

You can read their full comment, but we'll skip the part about my bitterness and get to the meat of the issue:
thought about explaining the intricacies of Jackson's situation to you re: his 50-100mil music library, the other multi mil $ library's he owns, not to mention the fact his potential to earn much more than what he owed gave him leeway w/ his creditors. In addition to the publicity & payment for media exposure those lawsuits generate.
Now the value of his music library, and his partial share of the old ATV Music library, and the Lennon/McCartney songs are all well and good, but they didn't do him much good during his life. Plus, there are reports that the contract for the Lennon/McCartney songs are going to revert to the original owners in a few years, thus chopping a couple of hundred million off the catalogue's value.

I see his post-mortem albums having some sales at first, out of ghoulish curiosity, but I fully expect them to perform much like the way his last few albums did. A lot of hype, but resulting in little sales to recoup the costs spent on the hype, and lawsuits flying with the regularity of the swallows of Capistrano. This aborted tour was the 3rd comeback attempt that I can recall off the top of my head, and it showed all the signs of being exactly like the other two.

His creditors are going to realize this too, and they're going to pounce like ravenous wolves. I feel bad for his children, because by the time this is all over, they won't have anything left. Lawyers have a nasty habit of making everything cost more, exponentially more.

If you wanted a serious discussion, you would have said something more like:
"I must disagree with your points, I think the value of his song catalogue will solve all his estate's financial problems. I also believe that Jackson's history of bizarre behaviour, accusations of pedophilia, and the opinion of critics that the quality of his work was declining, will not affect future sales of his bank of over 100 unreleased new songs."
Then I would have said that you were free to disagree, I'd reiterate my points, and we'd leave it at that.

However, you made your comment an anonymous personal attack by claiming to know everything about me, you invited vitriol, which if you really understood me, you'd know that analysis liberally seasoned with sarcasm, snark, and even vitriol is what this blog is all about.

How can I criticize Hollywood and not criticize those who are considered "successful," especially when they insist on pissing that success away? Should I start a blog satirizing the homeless?

Your tendency to turn what should be a simple disagreement into some sort of personal vendetta doesn't bode well for your alleged career as a show-runner. Which sort of makes me glad that I won't be working for you, because I appear to have touched a nerve with you, and you are apparently very bitter about the writings of unknown Canadian bloggers.

(Do you see how that just invites a flaming?)

I knew writing about Jackson was going to bring out the obsessives. That's why I put the warning in the original post.

7 comments:

  1. I just don't get it. For the past twenty years, almost every story the press has run on Michael Jackson has focused on his odd antics, lawsuits, plastic surgery, etc, and now all of a sudden, just because he died, we're supposed to throw all of that down the memory hole, and pretend the guy was some kind of flawless artistic giant. It was the same with Princess Diana a few years ago. The media in this country, and those who consume it, have gone from being irritating, ignorant, and biased to downright schizophrenic and totalitarian. And that's creepier than anything Jackson ever did.

    Tschafer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously I hit a nerve.
    I'm none of those things you accuse me of (troll, Jackson fan, record co worker bee).
    I'm actually a writer & a showrunner. 1 who will not reveal her name to appease you, your anger or any of your subsequent protestations to the contrary.
    Would it diminish your vitriol about me if I did give my name?
    I thought about explaining the intricacies of Jackson's situation to you re: his 50-100mil music library, the other multi mil $ library's he owns, not to mention the fact his potential to earn much more than what he owed gave him leeway w/ his creditors. In addition to the publicity & payment for media exposure those lawsuits generate.
    Then, given your name calling & nasty assertions about me, instead of rationally discussing your experience about the business of Hollywood & how it related to Jackson, I realized I had more of a point to my post than I actually knew.

    I wish you all the best, D. I've read some of your work on your blog & found it entertaining. Though I would never hire you given how you handle criticism, I truly hope your apparent bitterness doesn't stop you from reaching your full potential as a writer & beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with the first anonymous.

    D, do you have a rule about that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Ooh! Let me! Let me! I think I got this one!

    Hmm....lemme see...translate from 'catty hollywood troll speak', and....

    'Obviously I hit a nerve.'
    Means 'sweet! I got a bite!'

    'I'm none of those things you accuse me of (troll, Jackson fan, record co worker bee).'
    Well, no troll will ever admit their a troll. Duh.

    I'm actually a writer & a showrunner.
    Means 'I know how to type, which obviously makes me a writer. And I'm vaguely tied into showbiz, so I can call myself a showrunner, though really, could be anywhere from 14 to 68 by what I've said so far.'

    'I who will not reveal her name to appease you, your anger or any of your subsequent protestations to the contrary.'
    Means 'yeah, I have way too much fun being anonymous all the time to even create a fake identity who can be called on my b.s.'

    'Would it diminish your vitriol about me if I did give my name?'
    Uhh...have you never been to The Internet? YES!! Give a name, ANY NAME! Call yourself Squeaky the Hitman, call yourself Charlie the Child Molester, whatever! Heck, call yourself something as lame as Striker Z! (which, incidentally, comes from a short-lived DC comic, and has nothing to do with D's moniker) Basic internet etiquette. A name means you want to engage in conversation of some form. Anonymous means you're driving by really fast on the highway and want to give a quick shout-out, be it 'rock on!' or 'You suck!'

    'I thought about explaining the intricacies of Jackson's situation to you re: his 50-100mil music library, the other multi mil $ library's he owns, not to mention the fact his potential to earn much more than what he owed gave him leeway w/ his creditors. In addition to the publicity & payment for media exposure those lawsuits generate. '
    Means 'let me just subtly plug how awesome Mister Jackson was a little more, I'm sure nobody will notice. Just like nobody will notice that I don't really say anything about his mountain of debt that D hasn't already said.'

    'Then, given your name calling & nasty assertions about me, instead of rationally discussing your experience about the business of Hollywood & how it related to Jackson, I realized I had more of a point to my post than I actually knew.'
    Means 'HOW DARE YOU?!?!? I'm supposed to be snarkily sniping at you, and YOU CAN'T ANSWER BACK!'

    'I wish you all the best, D. I've read some of your work on your blog & found it entertaining.'
    Means 'kiss my ass, but if I sound polite, people will read me and think I'm the smart, better person in this discussion.'

    'Though I would never hire you given how you handle criticism...'
    Means 'by the way, in case you've forgotten, I'M connected! Oh, yes I am! And better than you, don't you forget it! And, er, despite the fact that I took it really personally....YOU'RE the pussy!'

    'I truly hope your apparent bitterness doesn't stop you from reaching your full potential as a writer & beyond.'
    Means 'and here's some more bullshit to make me sound like the better person.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Continued)
    Yeah, this is why reading exactly one blog is as close to showbiz as I ever wanna be.

    Okay, I f***ing love Michael Jackson. I'm from the blighted landscape that was once Detroit, and I was eight years old when Thriller came out. I love the man, and generally never believed most of the worst charges brought up against him. So yeah, I thought what D said was pretty damn mean. But he wasn't cracking any 'I guess Macaulay Culkin can come out of hiding' jokes like of heard from others, and, sadly, the Emperor Norton comparison cuts kind of deep. There's plenty of former stars out there who ended up burning out, but this doesn't mean I'm going to hate the man for living it up while he was alive. Yes, maybe he didn't have the money for it, and yes, maybe he was eccentric, but there was just enough awesomeness to him that I'm okay with that.

    That does NOT mean I'm going to deny that, if Jackson was still King of Pop, he'd reached the point of, say, King George III or King Ludwig II. And if you're going to show up denying this, spouting random numbers, making accusations about other people's motives, and not bothering to give a name, expect some heat.

    This is the internet. It sucks. Like the man said, get a helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In regards to MJs' kids, from what I've read. The woman who popped them out is claiming It didn't make the devils deal with her and produce those innocent spawns! So if her law suit falls in her favor, the spawns are out of any inheritance of spine snapping debt!

    My best hopes that they don't get that bill. Even if they where a part of that baby tossing mutant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Legacy!

    ReplyDelete