Tuesday 12 May 2009

Hollywood Babble On & On #284: NBC- NAME BRAND CRAP

The flailing and failing NBC-Universal empire is marking the fifth anniversary of their aberrant union by starting a new ad-campaign to promote awareness of the NBC "brand," and paving the way for people like Nikki Finke and myself to mock them.

And mock them we shall.

Looking at the condition of NBC's current schedule, and it's upcoming fall boondoggles, I have to ask:
What value does brand awareness have, when your brand is known for crap?*

In movies and television content is king. Right now CBS has half the shows in the Top 20, and the reason for that is because each show is all about delivering what the audience wants. I don't watch shows simply because they're on CBS, I watch individual shows for individual reasons.

Right now, NBC doesn't give me individual reasons to watch many of their shows, and trying to sell all of them as an "NBC Brand" is like rearranging deck-chairs on the Titanic.

The only way a network or a studio can establish themselves as a "brand" is to have a consistent level of quality that might, just might, entice viewers to give a show a chance.

I'd rant more, but I'm still not 100% recovered from my cold, and need a bit more recuperation before I can return to my usual level of vitriol.

*(Yes, I still haven't forgiven them for canceling
Life, the bastards.)

No comments:

Post a Comment