Monday 26 November 2007

The Duncan Conundrum

Okay. I was watching my favourite show CBC's Intelligence, a show about spies and gangsters set in Vancouver's drug trade. Well, it looks like a gang war is brewing between the local Vancouver boys and some interlopers from Los Angeles. The first shot was fired in tonight's episode, the drive by murder of a biker gang underboss named Duncan.

That's
my name. Now I know it's not unusual to see a show with a fictional character with the same first name as you.

However, my name's not that common, especially in Hollywood, so I've only seen it about 6 times that I can recall.


Plus 4/6 times, the character named Duncan is
killed.

In fact, the only 2 times I've seen a character named Duncan
not get killed was in cartoons, namely the horse Furious D in the Simpsons (Hence the name) and He-Man's sidekick Man At Arms. The character of Duncan Idaho in the Dune books gets killed off on a regular basis! They just keep cloning him, killing him, and cloning him again.

He's SF's equivalent of Wile E. Coyote.


So I would like the striking writers to make one pledge before any deal is struck.
Let a few more Duncans escape the cold grip of fictional death.

Sure death scenes are great for the actors. But too many of them with the same name are a tad unsettling, especially when you have that uncommon name.

Maybe let him get the girl once in a while too.

And don't just do it for me.

Man At Arms is starting to get paranoid as well.



Doesn't he look worried?

2 comments:

  1. Duncan McLeod? Highlander (TV Series)?

    In the end, there can be only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was killed frequently. He just had the good fortune of getting back up afterwards.

    ReplyDelete